2.09.2005

Stupid policy.

So, today I walk into Bioinformatics approximately three minutes late. The professor isn't lecturing, but she sure isn't happy to see me. She is taking up our research papers and passing out some handout about frankenfoods. She mentions that she needs to see me in her office. I figure it's about the idea that I'm not a senior and I theoretically shouldn't be in a graduate class. Instead, it's something horrendously petty, as in..."Your lateness...If it's going to continue, you might need to consider dropping this class."

Not only was this one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time, it was one of the most superficially idiotic things that could have been brought up. I mean, as in, what the hell are you talking about?! Just how do you justify telling somebody that other than, "Oh yeah, it's in the syllabus. Read it and weep." No, she didn't actually say that, but good grief, she might as well have.

It was practically an insult and an oversimplification. Oversimplification how? Oversimplification as in, that's all you've broken me down to as a student? I come to class late, so nothing else matters. What about all that reading I've done? What about the fact that I fucking own bioinformatics?! Don't get me started and excruciatingly angry in here.

I'll start throwing stuff.

CLDC.

So, yeah. I got recruited today by the big man himself, Claude, to come do some software development at the CLDC in the engineering building. Now, I can probably sit down in peace and do some J2EE stuff. I could do in my own room, but my computer is all slow and run over. lol. I'm buying a new Toshiba somewhere around April, so all that slowness will be alleviated. I'm keeping the ThinkPad around just as a backup system for the web stuff I'm about to do, but otherwise, come mid-April, I'm gonna be a Toshiba fan...

But, yeah. The CLDC ought to be interesting enough to work in. I don't have any concrete ideas now of stuff that I want to work on, even though I need some ideas for web services, but I'll think of something to make use of all those resources. I happened to be in there one day last semester for some odd reason (I think the door was open and I followed a friend in) and I saw like this awesome server farm. And they were getting more in. I think they were Dell PowerEdge servers or something, but the whole setup was pretty hott.

They have some serious ass computer resources between the main CLDC and the "client" CLDC. The main CLDC is where all the hardcore ish goes down. The guy I talked to today about it has been there since 1993--dude didn't graduate. Now, it looks like he's back to finish what he started. He's a senior, so he'll get to graduate next year I believe.

That's pretty interesting, though.

Stuck at the iLab--because I don't wanna go home.

Yeah, after finishing up studying for calculus this afternoon I walked over to the iLab. Mmmhm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home