2.10.2005

Carly Fiorina is ousted and I'm angry.

But, those two two statements are not fundamentally related. The former CEO of HP, the computing giant known for its origins in a garage somewhere near Stanford, has moved and removed its five-year CEO, Carly Fiorina. A unanimous board decision, details of which were provided to Fiorina in a four-page paper, brought about the ouster. Basically, Fiorina was somewhat a powerhog in my opinion. A lot of executive decisions had to go through her. Yes, that's a good thing because she was CEO. No, that's a bad thing because it really started to seem like she was the only one making the big decisions. She failed to delegate. Morale at HP suffered, and perhaps, most importantly, the HP-Compaq merger didn't pay off the way Fiorina had promised. Compaq still sucks and HP's computing unit is still not all that profitable.

I'm starting to think the entire PC sales idea as a whole isn't profitable unless you're Dell. They've streamlined the entire process of selling computers down to only having enough components in the warehouse for the number of computers they're projected to sell. Having extras on hand is extremely costly. Dell doesn't have that problem.

IBM realized that selling PCs and generally, hardware, was not a lucrative proposition. Moreover, technology isn't developing rapidly enough right now for people to really go out and buy the absolute latest technology. Things, the way I see them, are happening more in increments. No more disruptive technologies right now.

Madness.

I know I'm going to catch heat in the morning. Coulomb didn't come back to his office and get my paper to look over. Apparently, he holds other people to what's mentioned on his syllabus--everyone except himself, that is. He's supposed to hold office hours from 11-2pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. He was clearly gone when I got to his office around 125pm on Wednesday. I left the paper. Why was it still hanging there tonight?

I sense some tension with this professor. I don't think either one of us are going to like the outcome.

Internships and Capitalism.

The engineering career fair is being held next week and I will be back on the grind to market myself after IBM's egregious error. Do you know that that man still hasn't written me back? That's fine because I will still prevail in the end, as in, before I graduate, I will start a software company. I will be self-sufficient. My life will be bettered through this market economy. As of right now, I'm really focusing heavily on enterprise software after I spoke to a friend of mine who described software he wants for his business. I'm thinking of coming to him with a proposal for an entire enterprise/information technology suite that could really rocket his business, but I really have to get the details in order. If I did such a thing, he would be my first customer...

I really see a huge market for the kind of software I would offer. Other companies purport to do it already. I don't think they do it. I think they lose focus of what the software should focus on--streamlining the relationship between customer and business. It is the business of making both producer and consumer happy. I think I could design software that effectively does this based exactly on what my friend was saying he wanted. Give me spring break and I will have a business plan. All companies on campus could be wired.

It's like I told Jana, I'm going to spend spring break writing two different business plans. Chinelo, a new trusted friend of mine with real experience in these matters, recommends it and frankly, I'm tired of living with all this knowledge in my head and applying it to little more than class projects and random things that I write in my room to pass the time. It's time for some real disruption.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home