4.21.2005

The value of the company you keep.

So, last night I finally met a friend that discovered me via thefacebook. He owns a local IT consulting firm called NetVisor and wow, he's been one of the most interesting people I've ever met. Another friend of mine happened to be leaving the HUES (Howard University Entrepreneurship Society) meeting and said he was going down to his shop. Now, considering the rundown state I was in, I seriously considered not going. But, how can you pass up a chance to meet somebody you've talked to online for like 2 or 3 months?! You can't.

So I went.

Wow. He's even cooler in person. Ron, Derrick (sp?), and Chinelo (my facebook buddy) were all together in the same room and listening to them talk was soooo...awe-inspiring. There was so much business acumen in that room last night that I felt squished under the weight of it. I sat there and just listened mostly. It was absolutely great. To hear Ron talk about business is like listening to a business great who's been in business forever. I told him something like this last night and he thought I was attempting to just flatter him. No. I was dead serious. No flattery intended. I know that doesn't work with him. Also, Derrick is a new acquaintance as Chinelo's business partner and he was very interesting too. He seemed to be a walking lesson in persistence. That's a key thing I've been trying to develop.

I don't know if it was because I was hella sleepy, or just in need of a spunk-inspiring activity, but I left their offices full of energy--even though I crashed as soon as I got back to my dorm. That's why this post is at 1030am. I finally voluntarily woke up before 10am for once.

But, the company you keep is important, Ron says. I fully believe it. I do admit that I know some very interesting people at Howard.

Also, while I'm at it, full congrats to Carrie for becoming the new president of the Howard University Entrepreneurship Society. I trust she'll carry on the torch that Augustus totally transformed into a flame on its own. HUES is a very dynamic organization and I seriously wish I was going to be on campus for the fall to truly immerse myself in it. I would have run for Chief Technology Officer of HUES if I was going to be here for fall. It's seriously my most favorite organization on campus. It's basically the only thing I feel bad missing meetings for.

I suffer to think that I will not be productive today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home