3.13.2005

Bandwidth. Pure and simple.

Yes. After toiling since like 10pm to get Road Runner to cooperate with my iBook, here at my house in North Carolina, I finally got the connection operational about 10 minutes ago. Road Runner is just so damn fast. And it really seems all the more faster on a fast computer. The Compaq here needs some work, and I figure I'll go out and do some upgrades one day next week when I get the car. The first order of business, however, is doing the usual virus taming and destroying. lol.

Actually, I'm pretty certain that the computer needs a processor update. Or there just might need to be a new computer, also. It's running a 500Mhz AMD something or another that was halfway popular back when I was leaving 8th grade. I'm a sophomore in college now. Yeah, you catch my drift.

So, we finally got home around 8pm, after stopping by Pizza Hut to pick up dinner. lol. It's amazing how quality pizza looks. Crust wasn't burnt to a crisp, cinnamon sticks weren't drenched in cinnamon (and they were hotter than hott), and the topping weren't burnt to high hell. I think I had about 5 slices...only limited to that amount because the rest of the family had to eat also. Otherwise, I would have gone for my usual 9 slices with a glass or three of water and 4 cinnamon sticks. Don't worry, I'll pay for it when I'm 30. ;)

Tomorrow.

My plans tomorrow are to do some cleaning around the house, read a bit for some classes that I know I could be doing much better in, and continue my excessive and suddenly overzealous reading of venture capital blogs and similar things. Basically, it all amounts to enjoying this ridiculously fast Internet connection. My family absolutely must get up to speed literally. I believe, that, on Wednesday I'm going to make a trip over to Best Buy and make use of that plastic--again. The computer here just really needs some upgrading. Most interestingly, my mom is starting to use the computer a lot more, and overall, it needs to be a more robust, powerful system to handle the demands of the different users. My mom and her use of memory-hogging Office 2003, my dad and his constant Internet usage (must kill spyware), and my brother and his constant installation of games.

Any system that has to support multiple users must be robust. It can't crash as soon as you tell it to close a window. lmao. That's what happens to this computer at home. But, I seriously know that the biggest issues with the machine are that it's old, loaded with software that makes much more intense demands than the software that came out when the computer was manufactured (1999), and it's worse than a level four CDC virus lab when it comes to harboring lethal viruses. At one point in time, I pulled 47 different viruses off that computer. Is that atrocious or what?! lol. For some reason, Symantec's Anti-Virus software can't be fully trusted to automatically update itself when you originally told it to. Maybe I'm not 100% familiar with the software, but there definitely needs to be some sort of redundancy built into it. Sheesh.

But, alas, I have a whole week to enjoy being at home. It's not like I have to leave in the morning. ::Gasps::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home