3.12.2005

WiFi all up and down the highway.

Yeah, so on my way out of DC today with my mom and bro, I had the iBook on my lap driving away from campus, and wow. I was so amazed as we drove through downtown and right outside the Washington Convention Center, the Airport signal from the convention center reached my iBook. Too bad this network was one you had to pay for and I only picked up on it at the light. We weren't staying there forever. Moving right along...

As we got further downtown, more wifi connections started popping up. I mean, at one point, I had a choice of 8 or 9 networks to attempt to connect to. Some of them weren't exactly public (required a password or a fee), but it was so amazing. I've used wifi all along, but remember, my Thinkpad broke down and thus, I never got to use the wireless outside of my room. ...Always anchored to that desk! But, driving down the street in DC and picking up on so many networks was just the best.

What was even more amazing was the idea of driving down 395 South and picking up on the wireless signals from routers in the apartments along the highway. That was soooo smooth. Only problem here was that we were travelling too fast to check out if I could connect to any of them. And even if I could, we were still moving, so I couldn't sustain a connection. The sheer idea, though...was great.

So, did I finall get a connection? Yeah. When we pulled up in the hotel parking lot that I'm in now, another connection popped up. It was the hotel's network. Free! lol. It's fast as crap. And crap is fast. I'm trying to think of things to download on this absolutely clean and fast network. You know, big files to download to really see how fast it can get. lol. Bandwidth tests!!

::Runs a test on cnet.com::

This Wayport Access connection is running me about 1304 Kbps. That's not bad at all. Certainly faster than what I get in my dorm. I believe the connection at my house on RoadRunner, however, is faster.

More reading...more snaps from the entrepreneurship bug.

So, I did more reading tonight, and I even went so far as to write out a generic plan for a software suite that deals with information management in business. No, it's not your usual Excel spreadsheet-type stuff. More details on it later, when I get more details on it myself. lol.

I remember Yadav commenting that the best way to learn is to read. He's so right! I don't care too much to read my textbooks, lol, but I love read blogs online and digging for info on every topic that I can think of. We don't need paper books anymore. We just don't.

A site I discovered some time ago, that I really think everybody should be allover, is ChangeThis. All the information that you'll ever get from this site is organized into "manifestos" and they're just great.
A list of my favorites is coming later. I'll bet I should be in the bed...so I can stay awake in the car tomorrow. Gahh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home