2.13.2005

Dichotomies.

I was talking to a campus shuttle driver last night, and it turns out that he played the bass with Bootsy Collins decades ago. We knew there was something quite interesting about him, and it turns out this was it. He had a totally different side to him. He'd been driving for 35 years to pay the bills, but on the side he is also a professional musician.

I, on the other hand, am a student who likes to think of grandiose ideas and ways to implement these ideas. My day job? I just told you; I'm a student. The thing I like to do on the side? Design software, that, for right now, does absolutely nothing important except manage my schedule or lessen the time I have to spend doing useless math problems.

It really does seem as if everybody has two sides to them; things they do to make money and make sure that they don't starve, and then the things they do because they like them. This all goes back to a post on a blog that I've been following for a few months now: gapingvoid with Hugh McLeod. A post of particular interest is his Sex & Cash Theory that basically everybody with a life seems to go by. Yeah, there are a lot of people that have jobs that don't amount to work for them because they like them that much, but not everybody is blessed in that direction. I like school, but I'm really starting to wonder how much it's going to matter in ten years. Plus, I wonder each and every day if I'm really getting as much as I paid for, or am I just getting access to some seriously powerful computer equipment for $20K a year.

Most of the time, I like to think that I'm getting what I pay for, but...sometimes you have other interests that interject and make you feel like they need to supercede all other matters. My grades are great, it's just that the interest is waning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home