2.16.2005

Damn allergies are back.

So, I rolled over at 6:05 this morning to realize that somewhere between 2:47am and 6:04am, I had turned off my alarm clock. This was a potential disaster. Good thing my bladder wakes me up these days. I was going to roll back over and just hold it, but I decided against it and got up to start my day. Like I told some people last night, I wanted to get up and study and then just spend the rest of the day doing whatever, but I don't even know if that's going to happen. I'm holding office hours today from 5-7pm.

On that front, I doubt that anybody will show up. I had three hours worth on Monday, and not one person came through for help even though there are several who either ask about office hours all the time or clearly need help but don't come through. At this stage, I'm steady thinking about how it's really their loss and how a class as easy as FORTRAN shouldn't be a challenge to the point where people are failing tests miserably. Earlier, I believed that I had a stake in everyone's grade in the class. Now, I'm not so interested in "saving" everybody. Some people clearly need to get up and go for it themselves. And a few have. We had five people to get A's and a few more to get B's. I wonder, sometimes, if the fact that the rest of the class did so poorly is an indictment against myself and Dr. Paul. I know it isn't, but you still wonder sometimes if there is anything you could have done.

But, here is where we speak of dichotomies again. On one hand, you wonder if you could have saved anybody that failed. On the other hand, you know it was clearly a case of people not being sufficiently interested and motivated. But, even then, you wonder could you have motivated them more. But, to wrestle with ourselves even more, we say, "No, achieving good grades ought to be motivation enough. You can't do like your parents used to do and hand out $20 for every A in a class of 30. Surprisingly, you might actually become dirt poor." Such is life.

It just actually annoys me that more people in the class don't seem to care about their grades. And even after the plethora of failing test grades, people still come to class and run their mouths on everything from cell phones to AIM. Another popular phenomenon in the class is the use of thefacebook. There is almost a correlation. Many people who come to class and do everything but pay attention are not doing well in terms of grades. Also, I'm noticing that people that don't sit in the first two rows of the lab aren't doing well either. One exception to that does happen to exist, but he was smart anyway, so I don't think where he sits would make much of a difference.

The whole experience is almost a comedy of errors. Like, a full list of things that shouldn't be happening are. Or maybe I just need to stop getting so worked up over things that mostly don't concern me. Bob's grade is not Tiffani's grade. And if Bob is struggling, Tiffani can't have much effect over that grade unless Bob comes to Tiffani for help.

BitTorrent, Orange Juice, Photek, Adventures in Candor, and Why I Suddenly No Longer Want to Be HUSA President

Last night, I used BitTorrent for the first time ever to download the five years of entries on the boingboing blog. It turns out that a large portion of the bandwidth being used online these days is attributed to the use of this service, so there's got to be something particularly intriguing about it. I read about it in passing a long time ago and decided to download it just to keep up with the times, but it wasn't until last night that I actually used it. Remind me to go read about it again to really see what the hype was all about.

Orange juice is good. It makes you feel powerful. I just took my allergy medicine with a glass of it. Tasty.

Photek. OMG. Fans of Blade movies might remember an odd sounding track from the first Blade movie that was nothing more than a minimal drum and bass beat that played through the credits. After nearly seven years of wondering what the hell this song was, who produced it, and where I could get a copy of it, the Internet has finally come through. Fans should know it as "Ni Ten Ichi Ryu" by Photek. It's got a badddd beat on it and I can't wait to blast it with my creature speakers from JBL soon. I'm pretty sure I'll get some strange looks from blasting this song. Mmmmhmm.

I got a strange feeling last night from reading a certain book in Alex's room. Maybe I'll bring up more about it, but it really had me reeling. I left out in a semi-hurry with very little conversation. As I sat there reading it, I somehow wondered if I had missed something that other people my age had had. In all of my years of sitting in front of computers, trip-trapping back and forth to libraries, filling my head with knowledge to throw into papers and casual geeky conversation, I think I missed something else. While filling my head with techno and becoming a C/C++ dictionary, I missed other things. Candor? Not completely.

The HUSA presidency is not in the cards right now for me. I've been injected with the entpreneurship bug, and I can't exactly seem to rid myself of it. Now, I'm always on the lookout for things, always reading and paying close attention to my surroundings these days for ideas. I believe I'll be hit in time, but until that time comes, I'll keep building myself up. Lately, I've been reading a lot more outside of my textbooks because frankly, I'm tired of it appearing that I have very little time for myself outside of class. Although that may really be the case, I'm determined to not succumb to such a crappy fate. Your major shouldn't define your reading tastes. lol. If it did, you wouldn't have to wonder why I never exactly talk about anything I read.

IBM, Redux.

So, I officially have three more interviews with IBM personnel. I'll have to spend my time wisely for the rest of the week--reviewing myself, reviewing IBM, and reviewing things that I've learned in class. Ms. Pipkin has been very instrumental in securing these internship interviews for me, and I'd like to thank her for all of her work in getting my resume out there a few steps beyond what I could do. I suspect one of these interviews will work out. I just have to keep drinking that OJ to make sure my voice is poy-fect. lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home